Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

2018 Master the Rulers : Studio 180 Design BlockBuster 4


This week is just of one of those weeks that the days melt into one another. I feel I didn't really get as much done as I wanted, but I did make sure I got my next blockbuster block done.


BlockBuster #4, Capital T Variation uses the Studio 180 Designs Wing ClipperⓇ 1 and the Tucker TrimmerⓇ 1 rulers. Block 4 is made up of three units, Flying Geese, Combination and hourglass units.


This week I chose the 9" block and picked out 3 different colors of my Island Batik Fabrics.  


I started off making my flying geese units as we did in blockbuster #3, but this week I made two different sets of 4 flying geese. 


One set was made up of brown/green, and the other will be green/brown set and trimmed them to 2" x 3 1/2" using the Wing ClipperⓇ 1 ruler.


Next, I made the Combination units, which are so much fun to make.


You start off making green and brown half squares triangles units. Once the half square triangles are completed, you lay them on top of the leftover square; mark two stitching lines 1/4" on either side of the center diagonal on each side.  


Once you have the lines stitched, you can separate them apart by cutting them down the middle.  You will get two mirrored units out of one combination. Then just press and trim to size using the Tucker TrimmerⓇ 1 ruler.


Next was to make one hourglass unit, out of two colors. We made several of the hourglass units in the Blockbuster #1 and #2.  



You make one set of half square units, and lay them on top of one of another, so the seams are on the opposite side one of another.  Mark two stitching lines 1/4" on either side of the center line on each side.  Stitch on those lines, cut them apart and press. 


Then you will need to trim to size using the Tucker TrimmerⓇ 1 ruler, you will only need one hourglass unit for this block. 


Now we can lay the units out and stitch them together.


Once you have them all stitch together, your Capital T Variation block will look like this.  Very interesting block that has great potential for a lot of pattern designs.  

Well, next Friday will be BlockBuster #5, and I will be playing with Pickets and Quickets Technique sheet.  Lots of fun!

If you are new to the blog series, please you can catch up on the previous BlockBuster HERE.

See you next week,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment